Thursday, July 29, 2010

3 Day Walk for the Cure

Day 5 of training in this Fl heat has been exhausting and I'm only up to 6 miles as of today! I keep trying different tennis shoes in the hopes of finding a pair that fit right for this type of event. I can tell you that out of the box, my Nike running shoes nor my Champion's are cutting it. I had hoped to visit a New Balance store and get one of those fancy videos done that show you exactly which shoe is best for your gait. But of course, there doesn't seem to be any in Orlando! AND the only New Balance store listed, is gone :( So I'm winging it.
I went to the Good Feet store thinking that I could just invest in some good arch supports that I could then transfer from one shoe to another. I spent a good 1.5 hours there. I didn't have my sneaks with me though but was assured this would fit. No prob. Well, that is not true. Of course it is no different than buying a $120 pair of running shoes to discover they put my toes to sleep. Either way, sold, paid for, non-returnable...but the arch supports are guaranteed for life! lol
Ok, so I'm up to 6 miles, 1 bottled water and 1 sport drink. One would think that you'd sweat all that fluid out.....NOT. I had to hit the "comfort stations" twice! Thank goodness the park I walk through has public restrooms. I've never needed them before so I wasn't even sure where they were.
We are encouraged to wear in training what we are going to wear in the event. I have to take 3 sets of clothes for the 3 days, in addition to extra socks, an extra pair of shoes and other stuff. So I've already determined one sport bra from Danskin is a no go. The seams are cutting. 1 down, several to go.
I started my fundraising yesterday. Sent out 114 e-mails and have so far garnered 7 donations. I have to raise a minimum of $2300 or I can't participate. I have 114 days to raise the rest.
I'm sleeping good, that is one benefit. I try to get my walking done in the morning hours from like 8-10 at the moment. I may have to resort to the gym treadmill as I go further. I'm getting some color though - weird tan lines. I have this really cool iphone app called Walkmeter that tracks my walks. Using a GPS it even maps my route and posts updates on my FB. If you click the link, it will show the map. Anywho, it speaks to me so I always know when I've a mile marker. Gives me my average pace per min, etc. They even make one for runners and cyclists. I got my free through a message board participant who got 15 to give away for free. Otherwise it's 4.99. Well worth it!
My personal site at the Susan G Kormen website is supposed to have a blog attached, but honestly I can't find it!! Hence my writing here and sharing on FB.
Watch for my updates. If you can donate, please click on the link in this blog and give what you can. The statistics are frightening. Thank you in advance.
Stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment